Monday, July 30, 2007

Movin' On

In a recent (and very kind) post, Mike alluded to my imminent resignation as the first executive director of the New Jersey Commission To Review Criminal Sentencing. A week from today I'll be sworn in as Chief of Appeals for the Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office in
Flemington, New Jersey.

The emotional and temporal distance necessary to place my two-and-a-half year experience in some sort of objective, articulable perspective isn't even close. But it isn't too soon to express how indebted I am to so many of you for your inspiration, experience, advise, and encouragement. The modest accomplishments achieved by the New Jersey Commission during my brief tenure were, in large measure, attributable to the virtual community of individuals across the country toiling in this unique vineyard who share a passionate and deeply-held desire for rational and humane change.

I'd especially like to thank the following folks who were there right from the start, and who prevented me from tripping out of the starting gate: Mark Bergstrom, Kim Hunt, Mike Connelly, Barb Tombs, Rosa Hamlett Davis, Laura Sager, Angelyn Frazer, Steve Chanenson, and Dan Wilhelm.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't sing the praises of Professor Doug Berman. Not only did his amazing blog, Sentencing Law and Policy, serve as the perfect window onto the ever-expanding universe of sentencing practice and policy, but the good professor used it to graciously promote the fledgling Commission and its initiatives at every opportunity.

My new position will allow me to continue following sentencing developments, and, as Mike noted, I'll still be contributing to this blog. Also, if anyone feels the need to chat, gripe, or just say hello, please always feel free to drop me a line at bbarlyn@gmail.net

No comments: